Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

C25K

I have done this running plan before and only got to week 2. This time I am going to do it all the way! This is my third day in week 1 (WK1D3 in C25K lingo). If you want to start running it is a GREAT tool to use. What is the C25K running plan? You start off on wk 1 running for 60 seconds at your own pace and then walking briskly for 90 seconds. You alternate this until you have reached about 25 minutes. Each week increases your running slowly and you do each set three times before moving on to the next week. For me, since I am doing this to lose weight and don't want to burn myself out too quickly, I will be completing each week twice before moving to the next one, except for week one. If you have an Ipod that you can run with, they also have podcasts you can download from the website for free. As you are running/walking it tells you when to run and when to walk. Which is great because the last thing I want to focus on is the time when I am exhausted from running more than I'm used to. This is a great tool for me since I do not have a gym anymore (they closed down). Another one of my bucket list goals, besides losing weight, is to completely run a 5k. I have competed in several 5k races but I can never run the entire thing. Eventually I will work my way up to a 10k and so on. Running a marathon scares me right now but maybe I could look forward to a half marathon. I have posted a link for the running program on the left for those who are interested. Good luck!

Just got done running WK1D3 of the C25K running plan and was thinking about some more tips for running:

  • When running with little earphones that like to fall out, use a headband that covers your ears (like the ones you wear outside in the winter). I am not sure about what to do during the summer, but that will be something to experiment!
  • I can tell a difference when I'm really dehydrated vs hydrated while running. I feel much better if I take a swig of water right before running. Something I need to work on is getting 8 glasses of water/day.
  • If you don't want to leave your door unlocked while you are out running, especially if no one else is home, lace your key in your shoelaces and make sure it is double-knotted! There are also a lot of running gear that have zipper pockets or little pockets inside the clothing to put your key.
Happy running!

No comments: